Dog days are here….
Summer is finally here and days are long and hot…..Here is my list of 13 things to keep cool…
1. Linen – those who know me, know my love of this fibre. On hot days and nights, linen cools and absorbs….indulge in crisp white linen sheets or dry yourself in a beautiful linen towel…..
2. Water – swim in the ocean or the pool. Get naked and swim (best done in the privacy of your own home but totally liberating)
3. Wear something or decorate with blue…Blue is a cooling color and is soothing to the senses. Studies show that blue actually drops blood pressure and we can all use a bit of that…..
4. Spritz La Roche Posay spring thermal water all over your face….it’s cleansing and refreshing
5. Indulge in Aesop’s Petigrain Hydrating gel to cool you down after a shower. For added benefit, keep this gel in the refridgerator for sumblime cooling effects….a religous experience…
6. Eat sorbet……lots……one of my most recent discoveries is a cucmber-mint-white wine sorbet from our local farmers market in Sag Harbor (thanks Kimberly for turning me onto this). A spoonful of this is summer coolness wrapped into one bite….pair it with a glass of cold Rose wine for an afternoon pick me up……or as a decadent dessert after a long lazy lunch
7. Exfoliate in the shower after long days in the sun. My favorite scrub is from Giovanni ”Cool Mint Lemonade”. The name describes it all, cooling and tingling……Finish your shower by turning the water to cold and feel yourself cool instantly
8. Listen to the “Stealing Beauty soundtrack” and remember the beauty of the Tuscan countryside in summer and anything Zero 7 for cool loungy summer music….
9. Drink ice cold water with a lemon wedge and a mint sprig
10. Wake up an hour earlier and enjoy the quiet and calm in the early morning hours….
11. Treat yourself to a night out at a restaurant for an ice cold glass of champage with fresh cool oysters…..
12. Set a beautiful table for Lunch with blue and white china or blue napkins
13. Most of all, cherish the dog days and appreciate this time of freedom, lazy days, kids running around playing and good times with friends and family.